When students go back to school in January 2017 there will be some significant changes to their timetables. As well as learning areas like English, maths and science, there will be some new things to grapple with called “capabilities”.
The Australian curriculum will be focusing not just on the 3Rs – reading, writing and arithmetic – but also on the kinds of “soft” skills young people will need if they are to be successful throughout their lives.
The new capabilities are:
- Information and communication technology – using technology to access information, create products and solve problems
- Critical and creative thinking – learning how to think and find ways to approach problems
- Personal and social – recognising others’ emotions, supporting diversity and working together
- Ethical – understanding values and concepts that underpin views
- Intercultural – learning about your own and others’ cultures and beliefs.